Friday, August 23, 2013

big changes

This year we've had a lot of things going on, it felt like one thing after the other was changing. But at the beginning of the year we felt like at least we knew which direction school was heading in.

The semester was busy, like hormonal pregnant lady, working hubby,  heavy school load, school camping trips, family life and a new baby!

But even amongst all this chaos Dave and I kept feeling like a Bachelors in Exercise Science (leading to physio therapy) wasn't what Dave needed/wanted to be doing. He still really wanted to be working in a policing field. But neither of us said anything to each other. I wanted Dave to finish the year without another distraction and Dave didn't want me to feel stressed about us not knowing what he should be doing. Soon as the semester was over we both knew we needed to change directions and head back into policing. We were unsure where to even start...

My mom told Dave about a bylaw job in Vulcan that was hiring back in May. So Dave quickly got his resume and cover letter updated and sent in. A few days later a friend told Dave about the sheriffs hiring for Sheriffs Law Court. The position was closing that night at midnight. Dave was working a night shift and called me at 10pm and asked what I thought about it. So he had to scramble at work to summit a cover letter and resume. We never heard about the bylaw job but we know the reason he was to apply was to have all his stuff updated ahead of time to apply for sheriffs. We heard back about two weeks later saying he needed to have his class 4 license, first aid, P.A.R.E, and drivers abstract before he could even have an interview. He had two weeks to complete all that. We were just leaving on holidays to Montana and then coming home to go work in Medicine Hat for 5 days. It was chaotic! We could do everything but the P.A.R.E (physical abilities requirement evaluation) in Lethbridge. The P.A.R.E we did in Calgary, you need 4 minutes and 45 seconds to pass. Dave nailed it with 3 mins and 36 seconds!!  After passing all that the next week we were off to Edmonton for the interview, he was able to offer his top three moving locations 1. Lethbridge 2. Calgary 3. Edmonton.  Back in Lethbridge he needed to supply a criminal record check. Again we were off to Calgary for the Psych test and evaluation. Then tick tock tick tock... the waiting game again.

So amongst all our travels for work and play we've been doing all this. Its been a busy and a expensive summer!

This morning Dave received the call we've been waiting for all summer. He's been offered a position as a Law Court Sheriff  for Calgary, Alberta. He accepted!! This is a MONDAY- FRIDAY 9-5 job. (if you do shift work like Dave does now, you'll understand our excitement!!!)  He is to do training in Edmonton for 10 weeks starting in September and then starts his job in Calgary the beginning of December. So it's gonna be a wild ride for all of us. Trying to sell a house, find a new house pack and move all while a hubby is gone. Dave's gonna have some intense training up in Edmonton but he's looking forward to it.

 Congrats Hubby! So proud of you for sticking it through!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats you guys!!!! Im really excited for you. I won't lie though, I'm sad I'm going to lose my highlight buddy. Goodluck with the changes this next little while will bring.